New cemetery in Zakopane, so named to distinguish it from the old cemetery in Pęksowy Brzyzek, was created in 1908 r. on the initiative of priest Kazimierz Kaszlewski. Legionnaires were buried there, soldiers of both wars, sanatorium residents, guests, residents, mountain climbers, the ashes of Soviet soldiers were transferred from pl. Independence. Here, during the occupation, the Gestapo shot Poles and Jews. It is a Catholic cemetery, Evangelicals, Orthodox, Mosaic, units, Methodists and Adventists. A wide main avenue stretches from the gate, which leads to a wooden cross and a chapel standing slightly to the right. The oldest graves are to the northwest of it. The newer ones are located in the central part, that is, north and to the right of the cross, the newest graves are located in the southern part, along the alley between the cross and the entrance gate. More than 100 graves in the new cemetery belong to the victims of the Tatra Mountains – mountain climbers, tourists, skiers, mountain rescuers and guides. This number increases every year. Klimek Bachleda can be mentioned among the famous people resting on Nowotarska Street (unit no. VI, belt of tombs BC, order in a given lane 14; there is a large boulder on the grave), Father Kaszlewski (next to the cross), Bartuś Obrochta (XVII, 4, 2), Ruth Hale – Englishwoman, a lover of the Tatra Mountains, Secretary of the Ladies' Alpine Club, which age 37 years she died during the expedition to Cubryna (XXI, AD, 1), Tadeusz Brzozowski – painter and graphic artist, an enthusiast of the Witkacy Theater (XXI, AD, 24).
Behind the cemetery, ul. Nowotarska is slightly more beautiful – you can discover some beautiful old villas. Right at the intersection with ul. Sienkiewicz, on the left, at no. 45 it houses the PTSM Szarotka Youth Hostel, almost reliable, offering cheap accommodation. Behind the shelter, you go over the Bystra stream. The first side street to the right to the north is called Kamieniec and leads, among others, to the Ambulance Service and the City Hospital. The house on the left side of Nowotarska Street, marked with no. 59 was built in 1905 r. and is called Płazówka – from the surname of the first owners – the Płazy family. Your trained eye will immediately notice the features of the Zakopane style. At the height of the number 69 there is a cross, forged from forge iron, which was built to commemorate the control of plague in the last century.
On the other side, next to a narrow shortcut to Chramcówki, under no. 34c stands built in 1880 r. a villa called Barabaszówka; he lived in it since 1894 r. Stanislaw Barabasz – artist, painter and architect, teacher and precursor of skiing in the Tatra Mountains, co-founder of the Zakopane Skiers Department, vice-chairman of Sokol. He was also the director of the School of Wood Industry for the longest time, introducing elements of the Zakopane style into the curriculum. Behind the house of Barabasz and the building of the Primary School no 8 there was once the house of Walery Eliasz-Radzikowski – Eliaszówka.
Stanisław Eliasz-Radzikowski was the son of Walery Eliasz-Radzikowski, who first built a holiday home in Zakopane. Stanislaus – physician and historian – He became famous as an outstanding researcher of the Tatra Mountains and a political activist. In years 1918-1919 founded the Chochołowska Confederation, which set itself the goal of regaining the territories seized by Czechoslovakia for Poland. He declared himself Regimentary and Hetman of the Confederation. He wore a robe and a Confederate hat with an eagle feather. However, most potential Confederates found Elijah a freak and stayed away from him. Having failed in a lifetime mission, he died in oblivion and poverty.