The beginnings of the village
Due to the idea of industrial use of Tatra iron ores in 1766 r. construction of the steelworks was started on the edge of the Tatra Mountains – in the Bystra valley, forges were built at that time, called hamrami. Later, a manor house was built next to them, inn, factory school and post office, What caused, that Kuźnice has become not only a metallurgical center, but also the goal of the first comers. Initially, they were scientists, versatile naturalists Baltazar Hacquet and Stanisław Staszic, and geologist Ludwig Zejszner. Later, patients with tuberculosis and pioneers came – lovers of the Tatra Mountains.
The steelworks in Kuźnica experienced their greatest boom in the mid-nineteenth century. The guests stayed at the manor house; famous writers were among them at that time: Seweryn Goszczyński and Wincenty Pol. Chill, moisture and constant noise of one of the largest steel plants in Galicia forced newcomers in the mid-nineteenth century. to look for accommodation in the village below. The first known summer vacationer, seasonally settled in one of the highlander cottages, former professor at the Jagiellonian University, Jan Kanty Steczkowski. Summeriers are known as visitors from the lowlands, none of which would dare to spend the winter at Giewont. In the mid-nineteenth century. the development of the little one was dated, at the beginning of the century, approx. 1800 residents, squeezed into the woods of the settlement. By imperial decree z 1845 r. a new parish was created in Zakopane. Two years later, a makeshift church was founded by the owner of Kuźnice, which was erected in the vicinity of today's old cemetery. Arrived in 1848 r. Father Józef Stolarczyk expanded it with the hands of highlander carpenters and builders. The parish priest received vacationers, popularizing this form of earning money, he also founded a school and a cemetery.
Around the church, by the Cicha Woda stream, A specific center called Nawsie was formed. Three main communication routes depart from it: towards the then popular Kościeliska Valley, towards Nowy Targ and towards the Tatra Mountains – to Kuźnice. These roads have survived as streets to this day: Koscieliska, Nowotarska and as the modern axis of the city – Krupówki. It is worth mentioning, that in the middle of. XIX w. bumpy stretched out in the place of Krupówki, a muddy track that is difficult to pass for horse-drawn wagons, and almost until the end of the century, the dense forest reached the height of today's Kraszewskiego Street.